Read more here:
|North end Owasco Lake algae bloom - photo by: Bill Hecht|
The Cayuga County Health Department has the following advice:
• People should suspect that blue-green algae could be present in surface water that is visibly discolored or that has surface scum.
• People and pets should not swim in surface water that is discolored or has surface scum. If contact occurs, wash with soap and water or rinse thoroughly with clean water to remove algae.
• Avoid bathing, showering, or washing dishes in untreated surface water that is experiencing an algae bloom.
• Do not let your pet drink water experiencing blue-green algae blooms.
• People are encouraged to call the Environmental Health Division at (315) 253-1405 if they suspect a blue-green algae bloom.